Pages

Thursday 2 May 2013

Law School Woes


No, I do not regret my decision to enter law school. My desire remains as strong as it was when I decided to become a lawyer after seeing how my parents were punished by the claiming process when they filed whiplash injury claims in the past. It just so happens that there are cases when law school life just becomes too much of a burden and that whatever I do to de-stress my life, nothing seems to work.

They said that your life will change in many ways when you decide to study to become a future barrister. But I never expected that it would demand this much change. I broke up with my girlfriend, I am perpetually broke, I have lost any sense of circadian rhythm, and I am on the verge of falling asleep every time I sit on something solid. There are many instances when I’ve asked myself why I chose to enroll myself into this unforgiving world. But then, again, I think of my parents, their broken whiplash injury claims, and I carry on.

One thing which makes life in law school hard really is the reading requirements. Simply speaking, it’s too much! You can expect to fill at least one bookshelf with the cases, annotations, codicils, and sample exams alone. This does not include the supplementary readings your teachers will obligate you to read, such as essays and books. Some say that you do not really need to read everything but just extract the gist from these texts. But how is that possible without reading them closely and seriously? You cannot really trust abstracts and digests to be right for the simple reason that they are not exhaustive.

And even if they were, your professor will know whether you’ve read the text or not because he will ask you not just what the main gist is, but how the author came to support that main gist. Nor will your professors care about you. Our professors once made my class read a 250-page case about the religion clauses in some of our laws. We discussed it in just one day.

No comments:

Post a Comment